9:00 - 5:00
What is a ScrumMaster?
An Agile project manager emphasizes facilitation, leadership and communication over traditional command-and-control activities. In the Scrum framework, this role is called “ScrumMaster” as a constant reminder of the differences between Agile and traditional project management. The ScrumMaster’s role is to maximize the team’s efforts toward its goals while removing the impediments that stand in its way.
Certified ScrumMaster: CSM+
The Certified ScrumMaster course focuses on the primary principles and practices of Scrum through a combination of instruction and exercises. In this course, participants will apply the Scrum framework to build a new product. Participants will learn what it feels like to be on a Scrum team – experiencing many of the challenges they are likely to face – while being coached by one of the most accomplished Scrum trainers in the business. This “learning by doing” style of instruction demands an open mind and active participation.
CollabNet realizes that those responsible for implementing Agile practices at an organization may require more than just the basic knowledge of Scrum provided in the standard 2 day CSM course. This new 3 day CSM + workshop adds to the core fundamentals of Scrum with additional Agile topics like eXtreme Progamming (XP), Kanban, and Lean Software Development - the essential Agile toolkit beyond Scrum.
Completion of this 3 day CollabNet workshop will enable participants to:
- Satisfy the Scrum Alliance course requirement to sit for the CSM exam
- Be prepared to take the Scrum Alliance exam and apply for CSM certification
- Gain experience of what it’s like to be on a Scrum team
- Understand the distinctions between Agility, Scrum, eXtreme Programming, and Lean Software Development
In addition, students will:
- Earn 21 PMI Professional Development Units for existing PMI certification (e.g. PMP, ACP, CAPM)
- Earn 21 PMI Contact Hours that will satisfy PMI's Agile Project Management Education requirement for the new PMI Agile Certified Practitioner credential as described in the PMI-ACP handbook
- Understand the Agile Certified Practitioner exam structure and scoring and be able to demonstrate passing level knowledge of ACP exam content
Through a combination of lecture and hands-on sprint simulation exercises, participants learn Agile and Scrum’s primary principles and how to apply them. Topics include:
- The Scrum framework, meetings, roles, and responsibilities
- Writing User Stories with Clear Acceptance Criteria
- Agile Estimating and Release Planning
- Prioritizing the Product Backlog
- The Definition of Done
- Dealing with Technical Debt and Impediments
- eXtreme Programming (XP) and Lean Software Development Overview
- Agile Risk management, Agile EVM, Kanban, and the Agile Product Manager
- An Overview of the ACP Exam Structure, Scoring, and Strategies for Success
- A 1 hour Practice Exam
- Key Resources for Further Study
Preparing for The Course
Regardless of whether you have prior exposure to Scrum, we ask that you review the following material before attending your class (links to this material will also be sent to you upon registration):
Public Course Cancellation & Refresh Policy
Full refunds are available up until 10 business days before the scheduled event date. Cancellations made within 10 business days of the event will be credited toward future events, however, no refunds will be issued. Rescheduling course attendance will be subject to a $150 transfer fee. Substitutions will be accepted at any time prior to commencement of the course. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the course must be attended within 6 months of the participant’s original sign-up date, and no refunds or credits will be available for participants who fail to attend a course within this six-month period. No refunds or credits will be available for participants who fail to attend both days of the course.
As an added value to course participants, CollabNet reserves two seats at each of its public courses for individuals who have already successfully completed a course from CollabNet, but would like to take it a second time at no cost. This allows participants to brush up on their Scrum basics or attend a session led by a different Certified Scrum Trainer. The offer is provided on a first-come, first-served basis and must be used for the same course as the original (i.e., an individual who completed a CSM course may enroll in another CSM course, but not a Product Owner course). In addition, this offer is only available within the first six months following the original course, so please contact CollabNet as early as possible to reserve your seat.
1-888-532-6823 (USA only toll free)